CALL FOR ARTISTS
Malaspina Art Society is happy to announce our autumn 2020 group art show titled ‘Underbrush: Mycelium Rising’ now set to open in early November either as a regular in-person exhibition at The Malaspina Exhibition Centre in Vancouver Island University’s Powell River, BC Campus’s foyer with an online gallery as well, OR if COVID-19 precautions prevent this, then as an online show only.
We are inviting all artists in the qathet region to submit new work produced within the last 2 years in any medium that reflects our theme as developed by Giovanni Spezzacatena. Here is a very recent link to a Zoom Discussion with lots of film clips from the feature film Fantastic Fungi to get your creative juices flowing (scroll the timeline to see the film clips).
APPLY BY FILLING OUT THE ONLINE FORM BELOW.
**Mycelium is the vegetative part of a fungus or fungus-like bacterial colony, consisting of a mass of branching, thread-like hyphae or shiro. The word mycelium literally means “more than one”, and refers to the thread-like body of a fungus; it is the main part of the fungus. The mushrooms that we eat are actually just a small visible part of the organism – the fruiting bodies, like the apple off a tree: the tree, leaves, bark, and extensive root system give birth to the visible fruit.https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mycelium
- What: “Underbrush: Mycelium Rising” is a Group Art Exhibition based on the concept and cultural manifestation of Mycelium – and their fruiting bodies: mushrooms. While open to interpretation, the title of the show encourages a point of view that focuses beyond simply representing mushrooms, but into the function and form of mycelium (and mushrooms) also as a metaphor for social issues. Any medium will be accepted (photography, painting/illustration, collage, sculpture/ ceramics, fibre-based work, video, animation, interactive work, sound pieces, installation, written works, etc.) Works must be safe to display in a public space and some restrictions may apply; art may be offered for sale (MAS will extend its waiving of a 20% commission on sales at the Malaspina Exhibition Centre/ VIU gallery through to June, 2021). As for the title, the ‘Mycelium Rising’ part of the title is in reference to this famous mushroom book by Paul Stamets, Mycelium Running.
- Where: Malaspina Exhibition Centre at Vancouver Island University if it is available to us, as well as online through www.artpowellriver.com and associated social media (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter accounts – see side panel for links) Some of the submissions may be displayed online only if space issues or technical requirements make this necessary.
- Why: To encourage local and non-local artists to produce work in chosen media, on our given theme, and to provide a catalyst for interesting work that may be political in nature (think ‘grassroots’).
- Who: Local qathet regional artists, including emerging artists and craftspeople.
- When: Show will open in November 2020 either at The Malaspina Exhibition Centre at VIU and online, or simply online at http://www.artpowellriver.com
- HOW? Apply below: Deadline Oct 22, 2020 – fill out the form below and/or email this info to email@example.com