Last chance to get your ‘Inter-tidal Impressions’ and/or ‘Art Under Lockdown’ piece in to the FREE and OPEN to all online group art exhibition and YOU CAN WIN ONE OF 2 OPUS art supplies gift certificates (selected from random applicants) HOW? fill out this form below and then Email an image of your art to email@example.com
Deadline: Tuesday June 2, 2020!
The planned Summer 2020 MAS Group Show “Intertidal Impressions” will go on, however with an ONLINE ART OPENING right here at http://www.artpowellriver.com and on MAS social media. There may be an in-person opening at the Exhibition Centre if there is interest, later on. Read on below the contact form below for details and idea-starters for the “Intertidal Impressions” show.
BUT wait, additionally, we will have a second online gallery ART UNDER LOCKDOWN, to display members’ work of any kind that is being produced during the COVID-19 lock down. You may submit to one or both of these online shows and it is free for any local artist to submit.
To sweeten the deal we will offer two gift certificates for OPUS art supplies to randomly chosen artists from the submissions received!
- The deadline to submit the image of your submitted work(s) is newly EXTENDED TO JUNE 2, 2020, via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, along with the filled-in and submitted form below. If this form isn’t working for you, please just respond to the questions below via your email to email@example.com
- Image guidelines: Submissions to either online exhibition is open to all artists working in the qathet region- there is no fee to submit (but a limit of one piece per exhibition gallery: Intertidal Impressions and Art Under Lockdown, or submit one each)
BOTH ONLINE GALLERIES WILL BE PUBLISHED ON JUNE 4, 2020 on this site and on social media.
Intertidal Impressions: Exploring the space between land & sea through various media- The Malaspina Art Society’s Summer Group Show features qathet region artists exploring the changing sights, sounds, smells, motion, textures, plants and creatures of our northwest intertidal zones: the area of the marine shoreline that is exposed to air at low tide, and covered with seawater when the tide is high; its dynamic nature serving as a metaphor for resilience and adaptation.
- Qathet Region artists are welcome to submit work in any medium reflecting the changing sights, sounds, smells, motion, textures and tastes of our northwest intertidal zones. The intertidal zone is the area of the marine shoreline that is exposed to air at low tide, and covered with seawater when the tide is high. Its resiliency and ever-changing nature can serve as a metaphor for visual, sound and text-based works.
- All the plants and animals that inhabit this zone are marine, but they have adapted to survive in this often challenging environment. At low tide they must be able to survive prolonged exposure to the air, large fluctuations in sun exposure and temperature, shifting salinity due to rain and snow or river run-off , extremes in wave action, as well as predation from land animals during low tide, and marine predators like sea stars and fish when the tide is in.
- Tide charts are here.
- Short NFB film on intertidal zones https://www.nfb.ca/film/intertidal_zone/
- Site with inspirational mixed media works on tidal zones https://tidalcultures.wordpress.com/tidal-art-works/