BOOKINGS FOR MALASPINA EXHIBITION CENTRE FOR 2021-22
ARE NOW BEING ACCEPTED (next available spot is January 2022)
General Guidelines for Exhibit Submissions to Malaspina Art Society (MAS)
Please fill out this online form below
- Please provide the following to be considered for an exhibition:
- A statement of intent or artists statement. (What will the exhibition be about, or what are you exploring?)
- 10 to 20 slides, photos, or digital images of your work or a website with photos of your work.
- A Bio, CV or Resume (which is simply your history with making and/or exhibiting your work).
Please view upcoming exhibition dates here.
Submit your proposal by email at email@example.com or to:
Malaspina Art Society
100-7085 Nootka Street
Powell River, BC V8A 3C6
ANSWERS TO FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- Anyone may submit to have a show in the foyer at Vancouver Island University (VIU) Powell River Campus. You do not need to be a member of Malaspina Art Society, although we encourage membership as a great way to support this charitable organization.
- We are focusing on emerging artists, so if you’ve never had a show of your own or just a couple of exhibitions please reserve your spot! This is helpful for your art resume and for obtaining grants, not to mention getting your name and work out there and selling your art work (note our 20% commission starting spring 2022, when pricing).
- We generally restrict one-person solo exhibitions to maximum one show every 2-3 years by any specific artist (this does not include team or group shows or special engagements, new techniques or new medium you are exploring; always ask for more information as needed, just email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Here is a helpful link to some ideas on how to develop a show https://www.wikihow.com/Set-Up-an-Art-Exhibition
- Check out our past exhibition posters for ideas on how your own might look.
- Displaying art at VIU-Powell River does have some content and formal restrictions (please inquire with coordinator if you have concerns over these or if special equipment is needed, if presenting 3-dimensional or digital work, etc.) email@example.com
- Typical length of show is about 2 months except in the summertime and at Christmas break when the University hours are diminished and group shows will happen. Show lengths depend on space availability as well as other factors. Typically new shows open the first Thursday of every other month.
- An honorarium is offered per show on opening night to cover some of artist’s expenses (e.g. poster printing costs, framing or hanging costs, reception snacks, special materials for educational element/talk/workshop, etc.)
- MAS does not cover shipping of artwork or any transportation costs. Please consider a request for funding well ahead of time from various funding bodies (Canada Council, BC Arts Council) or a small grant via Powell River Council for Arts and Culture or our own MAS fund here.
- Team up and have a two-person show! It’s easier to fill up the space and artists can share in the work and audiences.
- The displaying artist(s) are primarily responsible for promoting their show, although the coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org) will provide a poster template and can help produce a poster for you to print and distribute. Permission is required to produce your own poster, as we do need to keep certain elements on posters/ graphics to maintain branding and a certain recognizable look to the MAS shows at VIU.
- Beginning in spring 2022, a 20% reconciliation commission is part of your commitment to keeping us going; we are asking artists to submit their reconciliation form. Please download and review the Artist Reconciliation form here and submit (email@example.com) within 2 weeks of your exhibition ending.
- Artists are asked to not place price stickers or tags next to work itself but keep a booklet or print out with prices on the display table provided.
- Assuming your body of work is ready and selected, typically you will want to give yourself 2 months to prepare for your show, starting with your advertising goals, and making sure work is ready for display, framed etc.
- VIU has strict hanging instructions (no holes in wall, etc.)- please inquire with coordinator firstname.lastname@example.org .
Please download and review the Artist Reconciliation form here and submit.
You may pay your commission fees via cheque to:
If sending cheque by mail:
Malaspina Art Society
Attention: Malaspina Art Society President
(Header art by Giovanni Spezzacatena – Rabideye Design)