The Malaspina Art Society (MAS) is a charitable non-profit organization that operates the Malaspina Exhibition Centre at Vancouver Island University (VIU) in Powell River, exhibiting the work of local and visiting artists. Exhibitions begin with a reception from 7PM to 9PM on the first Thursday of each month, unless otherwise posted on our homepage/Social Media.
Membership is valid when payment is received and is valid for up to one year, renewable at AGM in March. Monthly meetings are held 6 to 7 pm, FIRST TUESDAY of every month, at Vancouver Island University, 7085 Nootka Street, Powell River, unless otherwise posted on our homepage/Social Media.
In addition to maintaining the public art gallery, MAS is the custodian of the Powell River Permanent Collection of Fine Art, which is valued at over $20,000.
- To operate an exhibition centre and public gallery as a cultural centre for the visual arts in the community;
- To foster the development and understanding of all forms of art;
- To educate the general public and students in the appreciation and understanding of visual arts;
- To stimulate and encourage artistic growth and creativity in Powell River;
- To improve the variety and quality of artistic expression in the area;
- To stress diversity by including experimental and challenging forms of creative expression through exhibitions;
- To initiate, support and administer a Public Art Collection that will represent and record the dominant cultural values and creative expressions of a communal society living on the Sunshine Coast.
2017/18 Board of Directors
- Lorna Downie: President and Director
- Barbara Langmaid: Vice President and Director
- Megan Dulcie Dill: Treasurer and Director
- Katie McLean: Secretary and Director
- Karen Kamon: Curator
- Maggie Poole: Past Curator and Director
- Amber Friedman: Director
Logo designed by: Meghan Hildebrand and Amber Friedman
All images and content on this site are copyright protected. If any MAS member-artist would like to contribute art to this site, please email Giovanni@rabideye.com with a single image with the dimensions 1280 px by 444 px at 72 ppi, include title, your contact information and medium, as well as work’s original size.
(Header art by Wendy Drummond)