Incorporated as a society in 1991, and gaining charitable status in 1992, The Malaspina Art Society (MAS) is a charitable non-profit organization that operates the Malaspina Exhibition Centre at Vancouver Island University (VIU) in Powell River, exhibiting the work of local and visiting artists. Exhibitions have generally begun with a reception from 7PM to 9PM on the first or last Thursday of each month, unless otherwise posted on our homepage/Social Media.
Membership is valid when payment is received and is valid for up to one year, renewable at AGM in March.
General membership meetings are usually held on the first Tuesday in June, October and January at the Art Centre (215 – 6975 Alberni Street, Powell River, V8A 2B8). Advance notice of meetings are forwarded by email to all members and posted on the MAS Facebook page.
In addition to maintaining the public art gallery, MAS is the custodian of the Powell River Permanent Collection of Fine Art, which is valued at over $20,000. Most of the collection may be viewed in the halls of the University during open hours (Mon-Thurs 9am-9pm; Fri 9am-4:30pm; closed weekends, statutory holidays and during mid summer, and during COVID-19 restriction period while VIU is closed to the public) or view the collection online.
- To operate an exhibition centre and public gallery as a cultural centre for the visual arts in the community;
- To foster the development and understanding of all forms of art;
- To educate the general public and students in the appreciation and understanding of visual arts;
- To stimulate and encourage artistic growth and creativity in Powell River;
- To improve the variety and quality of artistic expression in the area;
- To stress diversity by including experimental and challenging forms of creative expression through exhibitions;
- To initiate, support and administer a Public Art Collection that will represent and record the dominant cultural values and creative expressions of a communal society living on the Sunshine Coast.
2019/2020 MAS Board of Directors
- President & Membership: Lorna Downie
- Treasurer: Megan Dulce Dill
- Secretary: Katie McLean
- Director at Large: Christine Oakley
There are no staff members and most duties are handled by volunters, with key positions noted above. Specific tasks such as bookkeeping, communications, and website maintenance are contracted out.
- Website and programming coordinator: Giovanni Spezzacatena (www.rabideye.com)
2017/18 Former Board of Directors
- Lorna Downie: President and Director
- Barbara Langmaid: Vice President and Director
- Megan Dulcie Dill: Treasurer and Director
- Katie McLean: Secretary and Director
- Karen Kamon: Curator
- Maggie Poole: Past Curator and Director
- Amber Friedman: Director
MAS Logo: Meghan Hildebrand and Amber Friedman; Website: Rabideye ; Header art image: Wendy Drummond
All images and content on this site are copyright protected. If any MAS member-artist would like to contribute art to this site, please email Giovanni@rabideye.com with a single image with the dimensions 1280 px by 444 px at 72 ppi, include title, your contact information and medium, as well as work’s original size.